Thursday, June 30, 2016

Renewal

Today is June 30th.  We are now officially half-way through 2016.  It's time for renewal!  It's time to evaluate our goals and renew our commitment to achieve them.  If you have not moved forward with your goals this year, now is a good time to set a strategy.  If you did not set any goals earlier this year, now is a great time to think about what you want to accomplish in 2016.  Rather than thinking negatively ("half the year is already gone with nothing accomplished"), think positively!  You still have six months left this year to accomplish your goals!

What's the big deal about "renewal"?  In contract law, renewal is a big deal.  In my career, I have reviewed hundreds of contracts, carefully scrutinizing the termination provisions.  If we don't renew the contract, the obligations will fall away and disappear when the contract terminates.  If we want the obligations to continue, we need to renew the contract and keep it alive.

Similarly, if we want to keep our goals alive, we need to renew our commitment (obligation) to achieve them.  If you have not achieved a particular goal, you are not ready to terminate that obligation.  You need a renewal!

One of my goals for 2016 is to finish writing a book.  The purpose of "Goal Setter's Journey" is to share my experience.  As an update, I completed a Vision Board for one of the books I am writing.  I have written the first four chapters, as well as the final chapter that will end the book.  I thought it was a great, original idea to write the last chapter and work toward it, but now I understand that many screenwriters and novelists write the end of the story first!  It really makes sense to do it that way.  If you want to make sure you arrive at your destination, it is best to have that destination in mind.

So, I needed to fill in the middle chapters.  On the Vision Board, I wrote down all the things I wanted to include in the book.  With everything in front of me on the board, I was able to work on the chapter titles and sequencing.  The Vision Board helped me to see the "big picture"!  Now I have a framework and I can continue to write the chapters.

If you seek to renew your goal commitment, make sure you have the "destination" in mind.  Have a picture in your mind of the goal you want to achieve.  And ask God to help you achieve it!

Devotion

O Sovereign Lord!  You made the heavens and earth by your strong hand and powerful arm.  Nothing is too hard for you!  Jeremiah 32:17

Prayer:

Lord, our renewal comes from you.  Uplift our hearts and refresh our spirit.  Help us not to waste the precious time that you have given to us.  Help us to renew our commitment to achieve our goals, and with your power, help us to get there!  In Jesus' name, Amen.


© 2016 Linda Lijewski

No comments:

Post a Comment