Thursday, August 30, 2018

Psalm 139

It’s easy to get discouraged.  I had that kind of week.  I tossed and turned and had trouble sleeping.  When I get discouraged, my goals fall by the wayside.

I seek the Lord in the early morning hours to pray for His guidance, wisdom, strength, and joy.  After praying for my family, friends, and others, I turn over my worries and concerns one by one to God.  I earnestly seek His direction and leading for the day.

I ponder the greatness of God.  He is the Master of the universe.  He is the Creator of all things!  Does he care about my little problems in the vastness of space and time and the universe, which are things that I cannot fathom?  Does He love me, even when I don’t feel loved?  My morning devotion today pointed me to Genesis 16:7-14.  In verse 13, Hagar called God, “the One who sees me.”  That verse really helped me.  Then I read all of Psalm 139 out loud.  “Where can I go from your Spirit?  Where can I flee from your presence?”  (Verse 7)  “Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely.”  (Verse 4)

God, our Creator, knows everything and He sees everything.  My strength is renewed!

Discouragement sometimes comes without warning.  Be willing to pray about it.  I believe that a good spiritual meal of prayer and Bible study will help you push the discouragement aside.  Some fresh spiritual renewal can be just what you need to begin again and move forward with your goals.  It may even help you to get a good night’s sleep!

Today, read Psalm 139 out loud!

Devotion

If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there thy hand shall lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.  Psalm 139:9-10 (RSV)

The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it.  The world and all its people belong to him.  For he laid the earth’s foundation on the seas and built it on the ocean depths.  Psalm 24:1-2 (NLT)

Prayer:

Lord, you have shown me that you are there when I seek you.  You are there even if I don’t seek you!  In times of discouragement, I have experienced the reality of receiving strength, peace, and joy from you.  I thank you, and I ask for these blessings for those who need encouragement today.  May they be led and inspired by you to build a foundation of daily prayer and study of your Word.  In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


© 2018 Linda Lijewski

1 comment: