Saturday, April 2, 2016

Goals 101

Could someone show me how to plug in my laptop?  When I brought my new laptop home two weeks ago, I opened the box and pulled out the cords that were neatly coiled in the package.  I looked at both cords, studied the ends and the box-shaped pieces, and looked at the numerous openings on the sides of my laptop.  I read the entire instruction booklet, and there was absolutely no reference to plugging in the cord.  I laughed out loud.  I can't believe it.  I bought this expensive laptop, they helped me set everything up in the store, but they didn't tell me the most basic piece of information... how do you plug it in??  I called my stepson, Ryan, and asked for help.  He walked me through the "plug-in" process so I could get started using my laptop!

Well, I don't want to make that mistake with this blog.  The mission of "Goal Setter's Journey" is to help readers take steps to reach their goals, as I share my journey of writing my first book.  However, it occurs to me that some readers don't have goals or they do not know how to set goals.  So, let's talk about the basics of goal setting, or "Goals 101."

First, I recommend that you ask yourself, what do I want to accomplish in my lifetime?  Do I want to get married?  Have children?  Travel to Ireland?  Start an art hobby?  Write a book?  Run a marathon?  Clean my basement?  Pay off my debt?  Grow closer to God?  Maybe your goal is a short-term one, such as solving a problem at home or at work.

Next, take a sheet of paper and draw three vertical columns.  In the far left column, write down your goals, as many as you want.  In the middle column, write down the resources you need to reach the goal (leave it blank if you do not have that information).  In the third column, write down one small step you can take immediately to move toward the goal.  For example, years ago I had a goal of starting an art hobby.  I had just received a beading book from a friend, so I decided that my first small step would be a trip to the bead store.  That weekend, I bought the supplies I needed to begin beading.  Within four weeks, I had organized a limited liability company and I began selling custom-made jewelry.  Within a few short months, I was selling my jewelry in a few local boutiques.

Another goal I have is to take a trip to Ireland.  So, the middle column includes the cost of the trip.  My first small step toward the goal was to open a bank account and deposit a certain amount per paycheck to save for the trip.  I continue to save, and soon I will be able to take my trip to Ireland!

Use your imagination!  Dig deep into your soul!  Remember, you are much more likely to reach your goal if you actually know what it is!  You may even exceed your own expectations!

Devotion

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.  Isaiah 40:31

Prayer:

Lord, some readers may be searching their hearts for their own personal goals.  I pray that you will lead them to recognize their deepest dreams and desires.  Help them to put their goals on paper.  Help them to identify what resources they need and what they can do to move toward their goals.  I pray for strength for those who are earnestly seeking your will and who may be discouraged.  Please bless them, Lord, with encouragement and a clear vision to set their goals.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

© 2016 Linda Lijewski

2 comments: