Sunday, April 24, 2016

Goals Can Be Fun

There is something very satisfying about taking steps to reach a goal.  You feel as if you are in control, finally, of something that you have been wanting to do.  And, you know if you keep going, you will accomplish it!  That is a great feeling.  You breathe in deeply and say to yourself, "I can do it!"  That's why I believe in problem-solving techniques, which are really the same as goal-setting techniques.  As you identify the problem or goal and the resources you need to tackle it, and the steps, no matter how small, that you can begin to take right away, well... something happens.  Your attitude changes from discouragement (you can't seem to tackle a problem and you don't know where to start) to encouragement (you found a way to solve the problem and you have taken the first step)!  When your attitude changes, your motivation increases!

Of course, goals are not just things we do to solve problems.  They are accomplishments we work hard to achieve... the Master's Degree, the published book, the marathon, the new start-up company!  Time goes by so fast... you're going to be 50 next year.  Why not turn 50 and accomplish your goal?  If you are going to be 50 anyways, you might as well be 50 and have a Master's Degree!

So, I have begun writing my book.  I did a lot of "set-up" work.  First, I met with a lawyer a few weeks ago about some legal questions I had about writing and publishing.  Then I started writing down ideas and character names.  It's hard to get started unless you have your characters established.  I know that I need to map out my chapters and create a spreadsheet of my characters.  But, it really seemed that the "set-up" work would never end... it could just go on and on.  When would I actually start writing?  I kept putting it off until I would have everything perfectly set, ready for the book to begin.

Enough of that!  I sat down at my computer yesterday and starting writing the first chapter.  It poured out of me!  Oh, what a relief!  I finished the first chapter and I thought, this is what it feels like to have something in your heart and you pour it out into a document!  I couldn't wait to write the second chapter.  So, late last night, I wrote the second chapter.  I am ready to begin the third chapter!  It is so gratifying and so exciting!  I knew deep down in my heart that, as soon as I would start writing, the book would pour out of me.  My enthusiasm and motivation are increasing with every step I take!

I'm sure I have no idea of the challenges ahead as I write this book, but it sure feels great to see my words come alive in the document on the computer.  Some day soon, I will see my book published!  That is my goal, and it feels really good to work towards accomplishing it.  The fun has begun, and it is giving me a renewed purpose!  I'm happy to say I am enjoying the process!  I hope you, too, are enjoying working towards accomplishing your goals!

Devotion

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.  Proverbs 3:5-6

Prayer:

Lord, we trust you to take us on our goal journeys.  We ask for wisdom each day as we face challenges and new adventures.  Help us to enjoy life, enjoy the day that you have given to us, and enjoy our relationship with you.  Today, help us to see new things in your creation and appreciate you in new ways.  We acknowledge you as our Creator, and we will keep our hearts focused on you as we move along on the paths you have set for us to take.  In Jesus' name, Amen.


© 2016 Linda Lijewski

4 comments:

  1. That's an great idea about the fact that goals are really problem-solving. I never thought about that. If you have a goal to accomplish something that you haven't done yet, that's a problem! I love that thought. Rather than give up, solve the problem! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment! I appreciate your perspective. I think problem-solving techniques are a great way to meet goals. I love the effect it has on attitude, because that's such a big part of accomplishing goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow three chapters already!☺ I can't wait to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Becky! I appreciate your comment. It's very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete